– 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
– 4 cups of sliced strawberries
– 2 ½ cups of flour
– 1 ¼ cup of milk
– 1 cup of thawed frozen whipped topping
– 2 tablespoons of shortening
– 2 teaspoons of vinegar
– 2 teaspoon of baking powder
– ½ teaspoon of baking soda
– Sugar, ½ cup and ¼ cup
– Pinch of salt
– Preheat your oven to 325°F (160°C).
– Spray a nine-inch round cake pan with non-stick spray.
– Stir together the milk and vinegar in a small bowl.
– In a larger bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and ½ cup of sugar.
– Use a pastry blender to cut in the shortening.
– Stir in the milk mixture, egg whites and baking soda until well-mixed but still slightly lumpy.
– Pour into the prepared pan.
– Bake until the top is golden and firm to the touch (takes about 30 mins).
– In a small bowl, stir together the strawberries with ¼ cup sugar.
– Cut the cake into wedges.
– Slice the wedges in half horizontally, making 2 layers.
– Turn the top layer upsidedown, then spoon some of the strawberries and juice over the bottom layer.
– Repeat over the top layer.
– Top each serving with some of the whipped topping.